activemq-users mailing list archives

From Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>
Subject Re: Persistent messages not moving from embedded broker to remote broker
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2015 14:40:03 GMT

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6521898/how-do-i-specify-the-jmx-port-for-an-embedded-activemq-instance

> I need to change my search habits to look past the initial hits. Thanks
for
> finding this for me.

Yeah, that was what I found.  But the fact that it wasn't documented on the
wiki is a documentation failure on our part.  I'll add it to the relevant
pages when I find some time.

In general, don't assume that the wiki thoroughly documents all topics.
It's pretty good, but there are topics it never mentions that are
documented elsewhere or not at all (the slow consumer strategies jump to
mind here: the original AbortSlowConsumerStrategy doesn't have an
authoritative documentation page - you have to piece it together from
mailing list topics and references from Red Hat's documentation - while the
newer AbortSlowAckConsumerStrategy's authoritative documentation is on Tim
Bish's personal blog) and other topics that aren't very descriptive (the
JMX page's lack of definitions for attributes is the one that jumps to
mind).  So definitely search beyond the official pages, into StackOverflow,
the mailing list archives, and blogs from people like Tim Bish, Christian
Posta, Bruce Snyder, and others, because the information might be out there
but not on the official wiki.

> Tim Bain wrote
> > And as I was typing that, I figured out what the problem is: your
> > networkConnectors are using the default networkTtl of 1, which means
that
> > messages can only be forwarded to one additional broker before being
> > consumed, and your topology requires two forwards.  Set that to 2 and I
> > think your tests will work.
>
> That was it. I set both publisher and subscriber to networkTTL(10) and
> everything started working.
All of the wiki pages I saw that relate to embedded brokers talked about
them under the assumption that they'd be used as standalone brokers, but
having embedded brokers at the perimeter of a network of brokers is a very
valid use case and we should really do a better job of documenting how it
would work (and of pointing out that the default networkTTL value is going
to cause problems).  I'll add that at some point when I get a chance.