activemq-users mailing list archives

From Mihkel Nõges <mihkel.no...@transferwise.com>
Subject Re: [Artemis] Master fails to start up after failback
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2015 13:53:01 GMT
Hi Tim, Clebert!

Yes we considered also the alternatives (
http://activemq.apache.org/masterslave.html):
*Shared Storage:*

We do not have high performance shared storage solution. We have some
solution for our current file storage needs, but it's I/O is said to be
very slow and would need to be extended to support extra load.

*Replicated LevelDB:*

It sounds cool, but I'm a little bit afraid of moving from one experimental
solution to the next. I noticed LevelDB does not support some of the
features we need like Scheduled message delivery:
http://activemq.apache.org/replicated-leveldb-store.html
The LevelDB store does not yet support storing data associated with Delay
and Schedule Message Delivery. Those are are stored in a separate
non-replicated KahaDB data files. Unexpected results will occur if you use
Delay and Schedule Message Delivery with the replicated leveldb store since
that data will be not be there when the master fails over to a slave.

Note like this make me feel very uneasy about the solution.

*JDBC:*

So it seems to me like the most reliable highly available messaging
solution in ActiveMQ 5 is JDBC. We have MySQL running as our main DB and
setting up a second DB for messaging would be fairly simple for standard
procedures of maintenance, backups and disaster recovery etc.

I consider this only as a temporary solution until we can use more
performant alternative configuration and I'm not expecting Artemis to
implement support for JDBC storage ever.

We are using messaging in process of splitting our monolithic application
into micro-services. As this is gradual process, the amount of messages
would be very small in the beginning, so having low performing but reliable
JDBC backed broker configuration seems good for start.

I was trying to find the more orthodox approach, but could not find or get
good suggestions. I tried disabling fail-back and starting master like that
resulted in both servers spamming in the logs another server with the same
ID is running. Do I understand correctly I should have backed up and
removed the /data folder of the master, reconfigured it as a slave and
started it then?

Can you give me some overview of already existing deployments of highly
available and failing over (not necessarily failing back) Artemis
installations in production I may change my mind about going with it from
the start.

Mihkel

On 20 October 2015 at 16:19, Clebert Suconic <clebert.suconic@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> logged
> >> same
> >> if you
> >> AMQ221007:
> >> AMQ221020:

> AMQ221012:
> AMQ221043:
> >> CORE
> AMQ221043:
> support
> AMQ221043:
> >> support
> AMQ221043:
> support
> AMQ221043:
> >> support
> AMQ221043:
> support
> AMQ221109:
> >> waiting
> AMQ221024:
> AMQ221031:
> AMQ212037:
> AMQ212037:
> AMQ212037:
> AMQ221037:
> AMQ212004:
> AMQ224008:
> >> info 1
> >> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.journal.impl.JournalImpl.appendDeleteRecord(JournalImpl.java:799)
> >> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.journal.impl.JournalBase.appendDeleteRecord(JournalBase.java:183)
> >> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.journal.impl.JournalImpl.appendDeleteRecord(JournalImpl.java:79)
> >> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.persistence.impl.journal.JournalStorageManager.deleteID(JournalStorageManager.java:1194)
> >> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.persistence.impl.journal.BatchingIDGenerator.deleteID(BatchingIDGenerator.java:152)
> >> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.persistence.impl.journal.BatchingIDGenerator.cleanup(BatchingIDGenerator.java:75)
> >> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.persistence.impl.journal.JournalStorageManager.loadBindingJournal(JournalStorageManager.java:1784)
> >> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.ActiveMQServerImpl.loadJournals(ActiveMQServerImpl.java:1625)
> >> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.ActiveMQServerImpl.initialisePart2(ActiveMQServerImpl.java:1535)
> >> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.SharedNothingBackupActivation.run(SharedNothingBackupActivation.java:249)
> AMQ222173:
> will
> AMQ224000:
> had
> >> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.paging.cursor.impl.PageCursorProviderImpl.createSubscription(PageCursorProviderImpl.java:97)
> >> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.PostOfficeJournalLoader.initQueues(PostOfficeJournalLoader.java:140)
> >> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.ActiveMQServerImpl.loadJournals(ActiveMQServerImpl.java:1631)
> >> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.ActiveMQServerImpl.initialisePart2(ActiveMQServerImpl.java:1535)
> >> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.SharedNothingBackupActivation.run(SharedNothingBackupActivation.java:249)

We
> >> need

> (broker3)
> >> it

> serverStart
> >>
> :/opt/apache-artemis-1.1.0/examples/features/ha/replicated-failback/target$

> :/opt/apache-artemis-1.1.0/examples/features/ha/replicated-failback/target$

> :/opt/apache-artemis-1.1.0/examples/features/ha/replicated-failback/target$

> :/opt/apache-artemis-1.1.0/examples/features/ha/replicated-failback/target$

> fail
> >>
> :/opt/apache-artemis-1.1.0/examples/features/ha/replicated-failback/target$

> fail
> >>
> :/opt/apache-artemis-1.1.0/examples/features/ha/replicated-failback/target$

> server0_artemis.log).
> following in

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.protocol.core.impl.RemotingConnectionImpl

> The
> >> [code=DISCONNECTED]

> after

> >> does

> I'm

> >> do
> nodes
> >> is
> make
> >> some
> be

> separate
> >> became
> >> require

> >> before

> >> instances

> the

Cannot
> find
> >> >>> >>> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.journal.impl.JournalImpl.appendDeleteRecord(JournalImpl.java:799)
> >> >>> >>> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.journal.impl.JournalBase.appendDeleteRecord(JournalBase.java:183)
> >> >>> >>> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.journal.impl.JournalImpl.appendDeleteRecord(JournalImpl.java:79)
> >> >>> >>> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.persistence.impl.journal.JournalStorageManager.deleteID(JournalStorageManager.java:1194)
> >> >>> >>> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.persistence.impl.journal.BatchingIDGenerator.deleteID(BatchingIDGenerator.java:152)
> >> >>> >>> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.persistence.impl.journal.BatchingIDGenerator.cleanup(BatchingIDGenerator.java:75)
> >> >>> >>> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.persistence.impl.journal.JournalStorageManager.loadBindingJournal(JournalStorageManager.java:
> >> >>> >>> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.ActiveMQServerImpl.loadJournals(ActiveMQServerImpl.java:
> >> >>> >>> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.ActiveMQServerImpl.initialisePart2(ActiveMQServerImpl.java:
> >> >>> >>> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.SharedNothingBackupActivation.run(SharedNothingBackupActivation.java:249)

This queue
> will
> >> be
> >> Cursor
> >> >>> >>> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.paging.cursor.impl.PageCursorProviderImpl.createSubscription(PageCursorProviderImpl.java:97)
> >> >>> >>> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.PostOfficeJournalLoader.initQueues(PostOfficeJournalLoader.java:140)
> >> >>> >>> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.ActiveMQServerImpl.loadJournals(ActiveMQServerImpl.java:
> >> >>> >>> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.ActiveMQServerImpl.initialisePart2(ActiveMQServerImpl.java:
> >> >>> >>> >

> org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.SharedNothingBackupActivation.run(SharedNothingBackupActivation.java:249)

unaccessible and