activemq-users mailing list archives

From Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>
Subject Re: Thread spike every 5 minutes
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2015 13:18:52 GMT
Here's a theory for what those threads are, though it doesn't explain why
they got created.  Maybe every 5 minutes, something happens that requires
lots of threads.  The thread pools create a bunch of new threads, the tasks
all end quickly, and then the threads sit around waiting for work (which is
what your stack trace shows) for a little while before the thread pool
decides most of them aren't needed and the thread pool size can shrink
again, until the next time.

Under that theory, the stack trace you're showing us won't help anyone
figure out what's going on, because that stack trace isn't the interesting
activity, it's the aftermath.  (Which is probably why you didn't get any
activity is, you need to capture it in the act.  Since you can predict it
well, you could try using a performance profiler to capture from right
before to right after the event, and use the method calls it captures to
see if you can deduce what's actually going on.

Tim