activemq-users mailing list archives

From Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>
Subject Re: Minor Release vs Major Release
Date Fri, 15 May 2015 20:21:17 GMT
Caveat: I'm not a committer and I'm not on the dev mailing list, so this is
just what I've pieced together from things I've observed.  Some or all of
it might be wrong.

Major releases have generally happened when there's a significant
technological change that involves changing fundamental paradigms or
technologies.  We've been in major release 5 since 5.0.0 was released on
December 7, 2007, so clearly annual major releases aren't the plan.  Major
release 6 was originally slated to be the adoption of the Apollo codebase
(technological change), but that development effort stalled and the HornetQ
codebase was donated to the Apache Foundation, so it's now expected that
6.x will be the version based on HornetQ.

For minor releases, you're right that the goal is 1-2 per year, so fixes
get to the community without too much of a wait.  Patch releases happen if
necessary to fix critical bugs that can't wait for the next minor release;
they generally are triggered by security or performance bugs, though once
there's going to be a patch release, less-critical bug fixes are sometimes
backported as well.  Some minor releases have multiple, while others have
none; it's all based on need.

Tim