activemq-users mailing list archives

From Klaus Liebler <k.lieb...@kon-cept.de>
Subject Performance single vs. multiple queues / sessions / consumers
Date Thu, 21 May 2015 15:42:20 GMT
Dear list members,

I am trying to understand the performance profile of ActiveMQ. Let's assume, we have some
500 clients sending the same type of messages (status updates) to one single central server
- basically a windows service that interacts with a SQL database on the same machine. Which
of the following configurations would you recommended (N= Number of clients)?

-          Give each client its own upload queue -> N queues. Listen with one session.
Create one consumer in this session (destination with wirdcards) that processes all messages.

-          Give each client its own upload queue -> N queues. Listen with one session.
Create N consumers in that session (one for each queue)

-          Give each client its own upload queue -> N queues. Listen with N sessions (one
for each queue)

-          Use one single upload queue used by all clients. Listen with one/N session(s) each
having one/N consumers.

In other words: How does the number of queues affect the ability to parallelize processing?

Maybe you can point me to the information that explains the relevant relationships...

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Klaus