activemq-users mailing list archives

From contezero74 <eros.pedr...@gmail.com>
Subject Performance degrade issue using ActiveMQ scheduler
Date Thu, 21 May 2015 08:14:47 GMT
Hi Everyone,
in one of our project we are suffering for ActiveMQ performance degrade when
we use the schedule facility (enabling schedulerSupport in ActiveMQ
configuration) with high amount of message (1M or more). We are, also, using
Camel for route management.

Our routes are configured as follow:
- a producer P produces 800 messages/sec and send them through a non
persistent ActiveMQ queue Q
- a consumer C1 processes messages from Q according to the following rule:
for each message it verifies if the message can be process immediately
(every message has a time-window attribute to define that). If it can, it
forwards the message to the Throttling queue T; if it cannot, it forwards
the messages into a support queue S
- a consumer Cs processes messages from S and it schedules the message
according to its time-window (setting the ActiveMQ property
ScheduledMessage.AMQ_SCHEDULED_DELAY with the following statement:
"message.setLongProperty(ScheduledMessage.AMQ_SCHEDULED_DELAY, <delay>);")
- when a scheduled message wakes up from the ActiveMQ scheduled area, it is
forwarded to the Throttling queue T
- the consumer Ct processes the message from T using a third parties
component (TCP connection)

When P produces messages for immediate processing (i.e., without
time-window) the system performs well even with an high amount of messages
(1M or more): monitoring the queue we can see them almost empty (no message
stays pending in any queue).

When P produces messages for delayed processing (i.e., with time-window) we
see the following behavior:
- we have messages pending in all the queues (Q and S), while we expect to
have it only on the S queue
- when the message scheduled in S wakes up they moves to the T queue: this
messages are processed according to the throttling configuration (1K
messages/sec)
- the message still pending in Q and S are moved very slowly to T (around 50
messages/sec)
- in case we try a second round of messages (without time-window) produced
by P, just after all the precious messages have been processed, we still
sending out messages to 50 messages/sec

Summary of the issue:
* ActiveMQ version: 5.9.0 (configured with 3GB of max memory limit)
* Camel version: 2.15.1
* Spring version: 4.1.3.RELEASE
* Critical route:
* Without using scheduler: within 1M messages, we process easily 1K
messages/sec (the limit depends from a Camel Throttling queue)
* Using scheduler: within 1M messages, we process 50 messages/sec
* Monitoring CPUs and memory usage, we cannot spot-out any issue: from 2% to
5% of CPUs usage and we never go out-of-memory (the Java GC seems works fine
too=
* Hardware: virtualized based on VMWare:
   - CPUs: 24 vCPUs mapped on 'Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v3 @ 2.50GHz'
   - Ram: 31744MB

cheers and thanks in advance for your help,
Eros