activemq-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Burton <bur...@spinn3r.com>
Subject DeliveryMode.NON_PERSISTENT is 5x faster even though broker persistent=false
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2015 05:12:40 GMT
I’ve had to revert to running with a non-persistent broker for a while
until I can figure out my performance issues.

In the activemq.xml file I’m running with:

  persistent="false"

in the <broker>

I’ve confirmed that it’s not writing to disk…

However, I now have a benchmark that tests DeliveryMode.NON_PERSISTENT
vs DeliveryMode.PERSISTENT

and DeliveryMode.NON_PERSISTENT is 5x faster even though (at this point) it
should be redundant.

Here are the raw numbers:

duration: 6,334 ms (nrThreads=1 nrMessagesPerThread=50,000 persistent=true,
transacted=false)
duration: 913 ms (nrThreads=1 nrMessagesPerThread=50,000 persistent=false,
transacted=false)

Why would this be?  My theory is that ActiveMQ does additional accounting
for persistent messages (vs non-persistent ones).

My plan is to convert everything to be explicitly NON_PERSISTENT because of
this.

--

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*