activemq-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Burton <bur...@spinn3r.com>
Subject Re: Wrapper?
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2015 18:16:28 GMT
On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 12:43 AM, Marc Schöchlin <ms@256bit.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i wrote the the recent sysv init script :-)

Great!

Is there a link to this?  Where is it?  I have my own project that makes
ActiveMQ into a more proper Debian package.  I was thinking of trying to
merge it into ActiveMQ and was researching this.

> I personally dislike the java service wrapper because:
> - this prevents the addition of intelligence to the start/stop mechanisms
> in some ways
> - this prevents execution on unix platforms which are not supported by the
> service wrapper
>   (debian s390, arm, solaris, AIX, ....)
> - this creates additional dependencies
>
> Just use the initscript provided by activemq. What is the reason/benefit
> to use start-stop-daemon?

Which one?  The basic bin/activemq?

start-stop-daemon is the official debian way.  I’m not an expert on it but
it seem pretty straight forward and provides more debian handlers to the
daemon process.

> Probably we can add some logic to the init script function
> invokeJar-Function
> (
> https://github.com/apache/activemq/blob/master/assembly/src/release/bin/activemq
> )

 There’s also the migration to systemd which is inevitable and a gun
pointed at everyone’s head..

Would there be any interest in me contributing an activemq-debian submodule
that takes the tar.gz and turns it in to a .deb?

I can just take my code and make it into a pull request and the community
can work with it moving forward to hopefully provide support for
ubuntu/debian but also/eventually systemd

Kevin

--

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*