activemq-users mailing list archives

From artnaseef <...@artnaseef.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ should GC inactive when producers is 0 , even if consumers is > 0
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2015 04:22:08 GMT
Something has me confused here.  If there is a consumer, why would messages
sit around unconsumed?

Also, I have trouble understanding why one would want the broker to remove a
destination while it has a consumer -- what is the consumer doing with the
destination then, and what is expected to happen to the consumer?

Also, if messages are sitting in a queue, the queue cannot be GC'ed -
otherwise the broker is losing messages.  A good solution there may be the
use of message TTLs.

Perhaps a review of the architecture would help to determine the best way to
fit ActiveMQ and the application to the problem.

BTW, it sounds like the application may have a consumer leak.  Consumers can
be thought of as the center of purpose for a destination.  A destination
that never has consumers would be a bit-bucket, or worse - a
continually-growing message store.  Consumers that don't expect to receive
messages cannot be distinguished by ActiveMQ from those that do expect to
receive messages.

Hope this helps.