activemq-users mailing list archives

From daelliott <my_fo...@outlook.com>
Subject Newbie - Have working example - Looking for clarification on settings
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2014 15:01:58 GMT
I've created a working application loosely based on this example:
http://remark.wordpress.com/articles/transactional-message-processing-with-activemq-and-nms/

I'm able to publish and consume messages just fine although I haven't done
any performance testing.

My general requirements are
* Use NMS ActiveMQ in a C# project
* Another department will publish to the queue and I will consume the
message
* I need to acknowledge the message was successfully processed - retry
processing if a failure occurred
* There will be a high volume of messages

General questions

1) consumer.Receive()  vs. consumer.Listener += OnMessage;
    Obviously receive will block and the event is asynchronous.
    Other than that is there a reason to use one over the other (i.e.
performance )?

2) AcknowledgementMode - ClientAcknowledge / IndividualAcknowledge /
Transactional
    I know the response coding is different
	message.Acknowledge();

	session.Commit();
	session.Rollback();

    I've read the description:
http://activemq.apache.org/nms/msdoc/1.6.0/vs2005/Output/html/T_Apache_NMS_AcknowledgementMode.htm
    Individual and Client seem to be the same except that Client could
acknowledge multiple messages
    at a time.  What I can't seem to figure out is why would I choose one
methodology over the other
    when they all seem to do the same thing?

3) Consumer selector
    The example code has: session.CreateConsumer(this.queue, "2 > 1");
    This ** seems ** similar to 2 &> 1 which redirects stderr to stdout.
    What exactly is this "2 > 1" selector doing and is it really necessary
as there is an overload
    that doesn't take a selector?

4) RedeliveryPolicy.MaximumRedeliveries
    After the maximum number of retries occurs, what happens to the message?

5) High volume
    I currently don't have a number for what this would look like, but in
general, is there
    any setting, etc. that I should be looking at to ensure that I can
handle ** receiving **
    a large volume of data?

Thanks