activemq-users mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to make scheduled messages highly available?
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2014 07:05:03 GMT
Hi

I think there is a JIRA ticket about making the scheduler support
persistent JDBC store.

Use the JIRA voting system to vote for tickets you want.

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 3:07 AM, Matt Pavlovich <mattrpav@gmail.com> wrote:
> I suggest looking at replacing the broker for generating the messages with simple Camel
routes using the timer or quartz endpoints.  Clustering scheduled jobs is always a challenge.
If you run Camel in a Karaf-based container (ServiceMix, JBoss Fuse, etc) you can setup the
containers to be highly available using the same type of shared lock as you do ActiveMQ (JDBC
or file-based).  If the primary container goes down, the secondary starts up and then the
Camel routes in that container would be generating the scheduled events.

> -Matt
>
> On Sep 2, 2014, at 4:37 AM, Willem van Doesburg <W.vanDoesburg@eijkelkamp.com>
wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> We are using ActiveMQ in several of our production systems. It works very well, but
we would like to make the broker fail-over, for when the broker application (which runs seperately
of the consumers on other machines) crashes.

>> To do this, we are already able to create a JDBC-based or a filesystem-based high-availability
store, so that our queue is always kept in the air by the two brokers. However, that is not
what we want, we want the high-availability as well for all scheduled messages. We rely heavily
on scheduled messages for quite some functionalities (sending e-mail, doing some tasks just
before other hardware performs tasks). We noticed that the scheduled messages are not placed
in our queue, but always stored together with the broker, which makes it impossible to make
the broker fail-over. Currently we really need to restart that crashed broker because it holds
scheduled messages, so we rely on brokers specifically instead of a queue which is managed
by some restartable independent brokers.

--
Claus Ibsen