activemq-users mailing list archives

From Karl Kraft <k...@karlkraft.com>
Subject Re: OpenWire for C
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2014 23:46:37 GMT
I grabbed the OpenWire C client and tried to use it and quickly discovered that it wasn’t
really supported, and it didn’t really work.  It was more a proof of concept.

So I decided to write a C client for OpenWire, by understanding how the marshalling worked
in Java and making it work in a C environment.

I quickly realized this was a deep rabbit hole and wasn’t looking forward to going down
it.  While I could get it to work, it wasn’t something I wanted to be dependent upon for
mission critical code.

Then I discovered STOMP.  It is a much simpler protocol than OpenWire, and well supported
by ActiveMQ.  So I went down that path and never went back.

If you are working in something other than Java or C++, consider STOMP for connecting to ActiveMQ.

This is the package I used:

http://svn.codehaus.org/stomp/trunk/c/src/stomp.c

On Aug 20, 2014, at 5:33 PM, Timothy Bish <tabish121@gmail.com> wrote:

> The OpenWire C client hasn't been touched in years and is not supported, so expect that
it will have many, many bugs.

—
Karl Kraft
415-449-9445