activemq-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Bish <tabish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NMS ActiveMQ: transactions involving multiple queues in HA scenario
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2014 14:22:55 GMT
On 08/25/2014 09:52 AM, biondo wrote:
> Hello to everybody,
> In my scenario I have a cluster of 4 brokers in a master/slave
> configuration. Clients consist of .NET services, therefore i want to use
> Apache.NMS.ActiveMQ library to enable my C# application to connect to the
> brokers.
>
> I have a service that acts as consumer of a queue, Q1, and as a producer for
> a queue Q2: the service needs to ack a message received from Q1 and publish
> multiple messages on Q2. I want to do that in a transactional and reliable
> manner, avoiding duplication or loss of messages!
>
> Are this kind of transactions supported by Apache.NMS.ActiveMQ?
>
> Overview page says <http://activemq.apache.org/nms/apachenms.html>  :
> "NMS API currently supports all of the features of JMS in a simple pure C#
> API and implementation *apart from XA*. Current features include:
> *support for transactions* (sending and acknowledging multiple messages in
> an atomic transaction)
> ..."
> Do I need XA support?
> When method session.commit returns are all changes available on all slaves?
>
> Thanks,
> Biondo
>

> --

The NMS.ActiveMQ library supports local transactions meaning you can
consume a message and produce additional messages in the context of a
single transacted session and then commit the work.  The messages you
produce are not dispatched from the broker until you commit the local
transaction so a rollback from the client will prevent those messages
from being dispatched at all.

--
Tim Bish
Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.