activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Erik S. Peterson" <peterso...@ldschurch.org>
Subject ActiveMQ to Apollo
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2014 22:54:11 GMT
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have a few questions as we are evaluating ActiveMQ, Apollo, and
other message brokers. Please redirect me if there is a better place for Apollo questions.

1) Apollo is the new ActiveMQ yes? If we want to upgrade from ActiveMQ 1.5...the only upgrade
path is Apollo right?
2) Apollo seems immature at this stage. But is it being used in highly critical production
environments? If not, when do you anticipate it being ready for such?
3) Generally, where is Apollo strong and where is it weak. A vague question, but in comparison
to ActiveMQ, where does Apollo really excel or fall short?
4) What companies are providing commercial support for Apollo or backing its development?
5) I was pleased when seeing that Apollo is leveraging Scala...only to find out that some
major architecture changes had taken place and that Scala doesn't appear to actually be well
leveraged. For example, rather than using Akka, Apollo uses HawtDispatch...Akka used HawtDispatch
at one time but dropped this library 3 years ago in favor of a native, faster, generally more
capable design. It seams that a better direction would be for Apollo to wrap Akka and add
other ActiveMQ items. But please share your design thinking and future direction.

Thank you!

 NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email