activemq-users mailing list archives

From artnaseef <...@artnaseef.com>
Subject Re: Runaway producer: Proper way to clean up a topic?
Date Sat, 08 Feb 2014 06:21:56 GMT
Perhaps persistence isn't needed for those messages at all. 30 seconds is bordering on too
fast to restart a broker in many cases.

With that said, it sounds like there may be at least one bug here. If a junit case can be
written to prove this case, that would help a lot.  Alternatively, a minimal client that demonstrates
the problem would help.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 7, 2014, at 7:04 PM, "kimmking [via ActiveMQ]" <ml-node+s2283324n4677654h22@n4.nabble.com>
wrote:

> Use deleteAllMessagesOnStartup option:
> https://activemq.apache.org/broker-uri.html
>

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: 2014-02-08 05:26
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Runaway producer: Proper way to clean up a topic?
> In a previous post I described a problem that occurred in a jdbc-backed 5.9.0 broker
with a durable subscriber.  The producers got way ahead of the consumer (which disconnected
though did not unsubscribe).  I had to restart activemq as it was hung.

> The messages in the topic had a 30 sec expiration so they were all well expired by then.

> I had hoped that when I restarted the broker it would clear out the ACTIVEMQ_MSGS table,
as all the records were expired.  Nope.

> However, an activemq timer thread slowly started cleaning up the records, 1 per second.
 At that rate it was going to take 87 hours to clean them all out!

> I then used the console to destroy the durable subscription, thinking that would accelerate
the process. Nope.  In fact the 1 second timer ceased functioning.