activemq-users mailing list archives

From jlindwall <jlindw...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Failover and non-persistent messages
Date Sat, 15 Feb 2014 01:21:22 GMT
Assume that consumers receiving duplicate messages are NOT a problem.  Can
the fanout protocol possibly be used for this scenario?  Maybe combined with
failover?  (Can you tell I have not thought this through?)

Producers use fanout to duplicate all messages to 2 brokers.  Consumers use
fanout (gulp) to receive messages from both brokers.  I know that using
fanout on consumers is discouraged; is the only bad side-effect the
possibility of duplicates I wonder?

All producer and consumer connections in our system are made at startup and
remain open.

At system startup the fanout transport requires both brokers to connect. If
one broker subsequently goes down, those open connections (they are
long-lived) will remain live, receiving messages from the surviving broker.

Hmmm.  This sounds dicy even to me but I thought I would throw it out for
comment.