activemq-users mailing list archives

From jlindwall <jlindw...@yahoo.com>
Subject Runaway producer: Proper way to clean up a topic?
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2014 21:25:13 GMT
In a previous post I described a problem that occurred in a jdbc-backed 5.9.0
broker with a durable subscriber.  The producers got way ahead of the
consumer (which disconnected though did not unsubscribe).  I had to restart
activemq as it was hung.

The messages in the topic had a 30 sec expiration so they were all well
expired by then.

I had hoped that when I restarted the broker it would clear out the
ACTIVEMQ_MSGS table, as all the records were expired.  Nope.

However, an activemq timer thread slowly started cleaning up the records, 1
per second.  At that rate it was going to take 87 hours to clean them all
out!

I then used the console to destroy the durable subscription, thinking that
would accelerate the process. Nope.  In fact the 1 second timer ceased
functioning.

At this point I deleted the records by hand using SQL.

What did I do wrong?  What would be the correct way to clear out the topic
in the event of such a scenario?

Thanks
John