activemq-users mailing list archives

From eptx ...@ardec.com>
Subject ActiveMQ to Apollo
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2014 06:46:42 GMT
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have a few questions as we are evaluating
ActiveMQ, Apollo, and other message brokers. Please redirect me if there is
a better place for Apollo questions.

1) Apollo is the new ActiveMQ yes? If we want to upgrade from ActiveMQ
1.5...the only upgrade path is Apollo right?
2) Apollo seems immature at this stage. But is it being used in highly
critical production environments? If not, when do you anticipate it being
ready for such?
3) Generally, where is Apollo strong and where is it weak. A vague question,
but in comparison to ActiveMQ, where does Apollo really excel or fall short?
4) What companies are providing commercial support for Apollo or backing its
development?
5) I was pleased when seeing that Apollo is leveraging Scala...only to find
out that some major architecture changes had taken place and that Scala
doesn't appear to actually be well leveraged. For example, rather than using
Akka, Apollo uses HawtDispatch...Akka used HawtDispatch at one time but
dropped this library 3 years ago in favor of a native, faster, generally
more capable design. It seams that a better direction would be for Apollo to
wrap Akka and add other ActiveMQ items. But please share your design
thinking and future direction.

Thank you!