activemq-users mailing list archives

From artnaseef <...@artnaseef.com>
Subject Re: Current Connection Count for ActiveMQ broker
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2014 06:43:10 GMT
Hey Anuj.

The "best" way depends on a lot of factors.  The method you posted will
work.  It's not a heavy load on the broker unless it's being called rapidly.
I recommend measuring it to be comfortable with the overhead - a tool like
jstat or a JMX client can help you get comfortable.

My recommendation for a path is to avoid adding code to the broker and use
jmxtrans to grab the same statistics using JMX, as described earlier in the
thread.  Or, find and use a similar alternative.  Some advantages to that
route:

* no code to write
* jmxtrans can feed OpenTSDB
* jmstrans also support many other outputs (e.g. Nagios and Ganglia)
* OpenTSDB keeps metrics for a long time and makes it feasible to report on
history

jmxtrans is here: https://github.com/jmxtrans/jmxtrans.  For some reason,
the OpenTSDBWriter for jmxtrans always eludes me when I look for it.  It's
out there somewhere...

That's my idea of a better way to go.  Hope this helps.