activemq-users mailing list archives

From bbuzzard <Billy.Buzz...@bnsflogistics.com>
Subject Is Producer Flow Control Necessary When Sending Persistant Messages?
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2014 22:29:49 GMT
I have a star topology configuration with Broker A feeding the hub in the
middle, Broke B, that in turn sends the message on to the final broker,
Broker C.  I'm trying to simulate a problem I found in production (but I had
to scale it down).

I'm using ActiveMQ-5.5.1 with JDK1.6.0_21.  (Yes I know there are newer
version, but that's what is currently being used. )  All messages are sent
using the Default Delivery Mode (Persistent).  Here are a couple of snippets
from my activemq.xml files:

        <policyEntry queue=">" producerFlowControl="true" memoryLimit="1kb">
           <pendingQueuePolicy>
              <storeCursor/>
           </pendingQueuePolicy>
        </policyEntry>

and

        <systemUsage>
            <systemUsage>
                <memoryUsage>
                    <memoryUsage limit="20 kb"/>
                </memoryUsage>
                <storeUsage>
                    <storeUsage limit="1 mb"/>
                </storeUsage>
                <tempUsage>
                    <tempUsage limit="100 kb"/>
                </tempUsage>
            </systemUsage>
        </systemUsage>

I'm trying to test a condition where the producer is hung.  My test starts
off loading four 200 kb files into Broker A.  I have a queue on Broker B
with the same name on most of the files appear like they made it to Broker
B.  The files on Broker B appear to have made it to Broker C using a
different queue.  On looking into why some of the files didn't make it I
found the "Usage Manager Memory Limit (1024) reached on queue:" message in
the logs.

To make a long story short I think I may have created the problem.  After
reading more about Producer Flow Control, I would like to know if Producer
Flow Control should be turned off if all I'm sending are persistent
messages?