activemq-users mailing list archives

From Christian Posta <christian.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ.DLQ
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2013 17:20:54 GMT
Well, it would be the same as a user-queue... ie.. if something tries
to send to the DLQ, it will be auto-created. So for example, when the
broker checks for expiring messages upon dispatch, if it finds any it
will send them to the DLQ... if that queue, "ActiveMQ.DLQ" is not
already in the system (it's not on a fresh broker install, for
example), then it will be auto-created just like a user queue is.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM,  <barry.barnett@wellsfargo.com> wrote:
> After reading the wiki, I see the following:
>
> This means that a client can create a new Queue or Topic dynamically either by
> calling createQueue() or createTopic() on a JMS Session
> creating an instance of ActiveMQTopic or ActiveMQQueue and possibly registering them
in JNDI

> This still isn't telling me how ActiveMQ knows when to create the ActiveMQ.DLQ.  Are
you saying that the client would have to dynamically create it, or again, is it something
at the server side system config that's telling it to create a DLQ if messages cant be delivered,
expired, etc?

> Regards,
>
> Barry Barnett
> WMQ Enterprise Services & Solutions

auto-created.. or you can use security to lockdown people from creating destinations on demand...
lots of ways to do it, but by default the destinations are auto-created as described in the
wiki above.

> If you want to have destinations created when the broker starts up, you could do something
like this in the activemq.xml file:

>  <broker xmlns="http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core">
>
>     <destinations>
>
>       <queue physicalName="FOO.BAR" />
>
>       <topic physicalName="SOME.TOPIC" />
>
>     </destinations>
>
>   </broker>
>

> but it's not necessary....
>
> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 5:58 AM,  <barry.barnett@wellsfargo.com> wrote:
>> Thank you.  But doesn't it have to be in some configuration file somewhere so that
the broker knows how to create it when it's needed?  I don't see it in the activemq.xml file.

>> Regards,
>>
>> Barry Barnett
>> WMQ Enterprise Services & Solutions

have to define the DLQ explicitly. If a message goes to the ActiveMQ.DLQ, or if a consumer
listens to the ActiveMQ.DLQ queue, then the broker will create it.

>> You can set up queues ahead of time if you'd like, but it's not necessary.
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM,  <barry.barnett@wellsfargo.com> wrote:
>>> It is my understanding that expired messages are stored on the ActiveMQ.DLQ queue.
 When I start the ActiveMQ broker, I do not see the DLQ defined.  If this is where the expired
messages go to, wouldn't it be a default queue for the default configuration?  If not, then
do I need to define it using that exact name?  What other attributes would I define the queue
with?