activemq-users mailing list archives

From Arjen van der Meijden <acmmail...@tweakers.net>
Subject Re: traffic on the activemq with 300 Producer
Date Sat, 30 Nov 2013 11:13:56 GMT
Hello Muthana,

By switching to asynchronous connections, you don't solve the underlying
problem. You just stop waiting for the final delivery of the messages.
But they'll most likely still take 4 seconds to deliver.

You can't have both ways; asynchronous message delivery and a easy and
reliable way to actually get the result of the delivery.

So I'd advice to go back to the original problem and don't add
work-arounds unless that turns out to be the only solution. Try and find
the actual problem: Why is your ActiveMQ slow?

Ask yourself all these kinds of questions: What is it doing (cpu? disk?
network? memory? garbage collection?) ? How large are the messages you
actually send (which is something else than how large you think they
ought to be)? Did you add (or not remove) limits on the queue sizes,
forcing blocking waits until there is some space available? Do you run
into limitations of the OS like running out of file-pointers? Have you
actually looked into the log-messages of ActiveMQ?
Is your hardware actually up to the task (but don't blindly replace the
hardware with a more expensive box)?

If you just keep working around the actual problem, you'll never
actually solve it. Of course, when you've asked and answered all of the
above questions, it may turn out that you need connection pools,
asynchronous connections and more... but those kinds of changes may
solve some problems, but will likely introduce new problems (like you
ran into).

Best regards,

Arjen