activemq-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Does AMQP supports ActiveMQ failover options in URL ??
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2013 13:39:29 GMT
On 11/20/2013 12:25 PM, xbhanu wrote:
> How does AMQP fare against Openwire in terms of performance and latency ?

AMQP and Openwire are protocols. Throughput and latency can only be
measured against implementations. So while in theory, aspects of a
protocol can impact performance in different ways, that is quite hard to
isolate.

Others on this list can hopefully give more in terms of actual numbers,
I haven't done any benchmarking myself.

However I believe neither the AMQP support in ActiveMQ nor the Qpid
proton engine it depends on have been optimised much at this point, so I
would expect switching from Openwire to AMQP in ActiveMQ to see some
degradation on performance. That is not inherent to the protocols
however and just reflects the relative maturity of the implementations
of each.