activemq-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Bish <>
Subject Re: Compiling Activemq-cpp library with Visual Studio 2012?
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2013 22:45:19 GMT
On 10/02/2013 01:07 PM, Parvenza wrote:
> Hi,
> We're evaluating ActiveMQ (server version 5.8.0) as a replacement for
> another MQ middleware we are already using.
> Our applications run on win2008r2 64bit, but they are compiled with Visual
> Studio 2012 as 32bit.
> We saw that the Visual C++ library (ActiveMQ-cpp version 3.8.1) is designed
> to be compiled under Visual Studio 2008.
> We have 3 question:
> 1) Since we'd like to avoid the VS2012 automatic project conversion, our
> first question is: are there any plans to add the native VS2012 solutions to
> the library package?
The 3.8.1 project ships with vs2010 project files which will probably
ugrade to 2012 ok.  I can only really maintain one set of files, that's
why the vs2008 project files are depricated and will be dropped on the
next major release.

> 2) All the apr projects are win2000 DSWs. Can we rely on a VS2012 build
> under win2008r2 64bit?
> Or should we be concerned about strange effects or flaws in the resulting
> binaries?
Its C code, so unless you are do something really odd, it works fine,
just build x64 or 32 bit versions as needed.

> 3) Activemq-cpp library releases seem to be frequent. Is backward
> compatibility always guaranteed?
> Thanks in advance,
> G.P.

Generally speaking on linux based OS's the minor releases are binary
compatible.  On Windows DLLs do all sorts of ugly things so I can't
garuntee it will always work if you replace a DLL with a new one from a
minor release but it should.  On major releases the application usually
needs to be recompiled to ensure everything is good.  The API changes
infrequently so you shouldn't need to make many code changes.