activemq-users mailing list archives

From "joakim@mnemonic.no" <joa...@mnemonic.no>
Subject Clients not receiving ResourceAllocationException in transacted sessions
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2013 19:38:44 GMT
Hi all.

I am fairly new to ActiveMQ, having used SwiftMQ for a long time.
However, I am stuck with a problem which I think may be a bug, unless I have
seriously misread some documentation... so any suggestions are welcome!

Short environment description:
Producers are sending messages to a topic, and a set of Durable Consumers
are subscribing to these messages. Both Producer and Consumer sessions are
transacted, and messages are persistent.
When a Consumer falls behind, or becomes offline, the producer should STOP
(when configured resource limits have been reached).

To configure this in ActiveMQ, I have configured systemUsage
sendFailIfNoSpace=true:

However, when the storeUsage has been reached, ActiveMQ log tells me that
the store is full, and the producer is being stopped, but the client does
not get any hint of this!

>From ActiveMQ log:
javax.jms.ResourceAllocationException: Persistent store is Full, 100% of
209715200. Stopping producer (ID:Calvin.local-52167-1377716876253-5:1:1:1)
to prevent flooding topic://nidstopic. See
http://activemq.apache.org/producer-flow-control.html for more info

However, the client just keeps sending messages, which are being discarded.
I have debugged the client code into ActiveMQ classes, and the client is
happily both sending the message, and commiting the transaction, without any
exception being thrown.

Changing to non-transacted session causes the producer to receive
ResourceAllocationException when the store is full.

I am running ActiveMQ 5.8.0 on Java 1.7 on Linux.
I have tried both with LevelDB and KahaDB, just in case.

Any suggestions?