activemq-users mailing list archives

From retok <reto.kr...@profidatagroup.com>
Subject Stop and resume message consuming
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2013 09:07:44 GMT
We have a use case where there is a single queue that has multiple message
consumers. It is important that the messages are consumed in
first-in-first-out order and message consuming must stop when a message
cannot be acknowledged (e.g. due to an application/database error) and must
not be resumed until the problem has been solved. Consuming must be resumed
with the not acknowledged message.

To guarantee ordering when multiple consumers are around, we assume that we
need to use the exclusive consumer feature of ActiveMQ. To have control over
message acknowledgement, we assume that we need to use
ActiveMQSession.INDIVIDUAL_ACKNOWLEDGE.

But now, how can we achieve that message consuming is stopping whenever we
do not acknowledge a message?
And how can we resume consuming messages after the application/database
error has been resolved (not knowing which consumer was the exclusive
consumer)?

None of the consumer needs to die upon an error of the application/database
behind, so failover is not the topic of this question.

Thanks for any help,
Reto