activemq-users mailing list archives

From Torsten Mielke <tmie...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Storage algorithm?
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2013 07:42:57 GMT
I don't think there is such algorithm. Its best to run load test with your estimated settings
and fine tune them if necessary.

memoryUsage should be below the JVM heap size to leave enough heap for other broker tasks
that storing messages. How much there is needed for other tasks depends on the number of clients
connected to the broker and the number of destinations. Again, there is no simple formula.

storeUsage can be as big as your disk capacity (or JDBC database capacity) if really needed.
To find the appropriate setting you need to ask yourself you man messages you expect your
broker to buffer at peak times and what is the average message size.

Similar for temp usage which is used for non-persistent messages.

If you have a scenario where producer and consumer are equally fast and you don't expect messages
to pile up in your broker then you can go with fairly low values for each of the settings
above.

Hope this helps a bit.

Torsten Mielke
tmielke@redhat.com