activemq-users mailing list archives

From Yi Pan <>
Subject Re: Question regarding to EnqueueCount and ExpiredCount for topic destination
Date Mon, 06 May 2013 19:31:19 GMT
Hi, Christian,

Thanks for the quick response. However, the stats and its explanation is
still very confusing to me.

The standard explanation of Enqueue Count - the total number of messages
sent to the queue since the last restart. That's counting the action of
"sent to the queue", not the "number of messages stays in the queue". Hence,
if a message is sent to the queue at t0, it should already been counted
toward this metric. When this message expires at time t1, it is a change of
the state of the message (i.e. it expired and no longer needed to be
delivered). It does not change the fact that it has been "sent to the queue"
at time t0. It seems very confusing to me when ActiveMQ increments the
counter for "sent" action at t0 and reverts this counter of previous action
at a later time.

IMHO, it would be much better if we keep the Enqueue Count as simple as the
number of messages ever made into the queue since restart, while the Expired
Count is an independent metric showing how many messages that were in the
queue and have expired till now.

Best regards!