activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <smithh032...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Memory leak ] The web application appears to have started a thread.
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2013 18:16:58 GMT
I see (lines similar to) the following in my log, everytime, I shutdown
TomEE. Am I concerned? Even though it says 'SEVERE', it also says, 'very
likely to create a memory leak'. I don't see these threads any longer after
I stop TomEE and I don't see these threads when I restart TomEE. I get
brand new threads for ActiveMQ. I don't know how to monitor the JVM to see
if the threads are running when TomEE/ActiveMQ is 'not' running. If you
tell me how I can monitor JVM for these threads 'after' I shutdown
TomEE/app, then I don't mind trying on my development server.

Still, this is not a concern of mine at all, because when my app is idle,
it is using 200 to 250m of memory, and highest, I usually see is 500 or
600m, and my -Xms/-Xmx has been 1024m for last 1 or 2 months, and then
Tomcat committers advised 5 x the minimum amount of memory it takes to run
my app (bottom of the saw-tooth graph in jvisualvm), so i now have
-Xms/-Xmx = 1250m.

>From what I can tell, the threads are removed when the container
(tomee/tomcat7) is stopped, but please feel free to correct me.

why do you feel as though this is a concern 'after' you stop/shutdown your
app? Do you see the threads still exist, after you stop/shutdown your app
and when you restart your app?

Apr 18, 2013 1:55:19 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearReferencesThreads
SEVERE: The web application [/webapp] appears to have started a thread
named [PoolIdleReleaseTimer] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely
to create a memory leak.
Apr 18, 2013 1:55:19 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearReferencesThreads
SEVERE: The web application [/webapp] appears to have started a thread
named [Default JMS Resource Adapter-worker-1] but has failed to stop it.
This is very likely to create a memory leak.
Apr 18, 2013 1:55:19 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearReferencesThreads
SEVERE: The web application [/webapp] appears to have started a thread
named [Default JMS Resource Adapter-worker-2] but has failed to stop it.
This is very likely to create a memory leak.
Apr 18, 2013 1:55:19 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearReferencesThreads
SEVERE: The web application [/webapp] appears to have started a thread
named [ActiveMQ BrokerService[localhost] Task-3] but has failed to stop it.
This is very likely to create a memory leak.
Apr 18, 2013 1:55:19 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearReferencesThreads
SEVERE: The web application [/webapp] appears to have started a thread
named [Default JMS Resource Adapter-worker-3] but has failed to stop it.
This is very likely to create a memory leak.
Apr 18, 2013 1:55:19 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearReferencesThreads
SEVERE: The web application [/webapp] appears to have started a thread
named [ActiveMQ VMTransport: vm://localhost#5-2] but has failed to stop it.
This is very likely to create a memory leak.
Apr 18, 2013 1:55:19 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearReferencesThreads
SEVERE: The web application [/webapp] appears to have started a thread
named [ActiveMQ VMTransport: vm://localhost#5-3] but has failed to stop it.
This is very likely to create a memory leak.
Apr 18, 2013 1:55:19 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearReferencesThreads
SEVERE: The web application [/webapp] appears to have started a thread
named [ActiveMQ VMTransport: vm://localhost#4-3] but has failed to stop it.
This is very likely to create a memory leak.