activemq-users mailing list archives

From Donald Masanz <don.mas...@carters.com>
Subject RE: Stuck Messages
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2013 16:58:16 GMT
I believe this is the file you are asking about.  I added a .txt extension so it would go thru
our firewalls.

From: Gaurav Sharma [via ActiveMQ] [mailto:ml-node+s2283324n4662994h57@n4.nabble.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2013 11:13 AM
To: Masanz, Don
Subject: Re: Stuck Messages

Aah, I see. So, a good place to start is:
http://activemq.apache.org/performance-tuning.html

AMQ is a non-trivial distributed system and infrastructure building block. So, like any such
system, it needs to be tuned and configured for your needs and it is highly configurable and
flexible.
As you are reading the perf page, pull out your activemq.xml from the installed edi system
- mask hosts/ports/passwds and post it on here. Your broker seems to be running low on system
resources.

On Feb 7, 2013, at 9:00, Donald Masanz <[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4662994&i=0>>
wrote:

> Do you have any document available on MQ.  We had this installed in August of 2011, they
installed MQ as part of our EDI software.  I am the ADMIN, but no one in our staff has actually
ever done any set up or configurations.  It was all done for us.  Therefore when you mention
all these options, I really don't have much of a clue what you are talking about.

keep up with producers, you can always setup nagios alerts (warn/critical) on 'Pending Messages'.
I use my broker liveness monitor daemon that periodically performs synthetic transactions
against the broker so I can auto-markdown bad apple broker nodes on the client side.

> On Feb 7, 2013, at 8:40, Gaurav Sharma <[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4662992&i=0>>
wrote:

>> Folks - when you notice the broker in a 'stuck' state, please take a thread and heap
dump before killing the broker process and share with devs on here.

>> Also:
>> 1. What broker topology are you using?
>> 2. How many producers/consumers?
>> 3. Are you pooling connections, producers, sessions?
>> 4. How large are your messages?
>> 5. How many concurrent connections? What is the rate of message flow /second?
>> 6. Are messages persistent and if so, what store?
>> 7. What are your system/memory usage settings? How much heap and RAM on brokers and
on clients?
>> 8. What is the prefetch size?
>> 9. How are you using the broker - what role is it playing in your system? Using queues,
topics, both?
>> 10. Have you monitored GC activity on clients and brokers?
>> 11. What amq transport are you using and via what client?
>>
>> There might be more than one factors at play here. Very curious how restarts are
'fixing' the problem.

>> On Feb 7, 2013, at 8:18, Donald Masanz <[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4662992&i=1>>
wrote:

>>> I took your advice this morning when I noticed that MQ had hung up and was able
to keep my application running while I restarted MQ.  Great tip.  Do you have a process that
monitors MQ and notifies you if it stops processing, or do you have to do a manual check?

issue as well. If we restart activemq everything works however, we have not been able to find
the root cause.

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/Stuck-Messages-tp4662092p4662994.html

activemq.xml.txt (7K) <http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/attachment/4663068/0/activemq.xml.txt>