activemq-users mailing list archives

From Donald Masanz <don.mas...@carters.com>
Subject RE: Stuck Messages
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2013 17:00:10 GMT
Do you have any document available on MQ.  We had this installed in August of 2011, they installed
MQ as part of our EDI software.  I am the ADMIN, but no one in our staff has actually ever
done any set up or configurations.  It was all done for us.  Therefore when you mention all
these options, I really don't have much of a clue what you are talking about.

From: Gaurav Sharma [via ActiveMQ] [mailto:ml-node+s2283324n4662992h95@n4.nabble.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2013 10:57 AM
To: Masanz, Don
Subject: Re: Stuck Messages

Forgot to mention - since you know what queues and topics have fast consumers that can keep
up with producers, you can always setup nagios alerts (warn/critical) on 'Pending Messages'.
I use my broker liveness monitor daemon that periodically performs synthetic transactions
against the broker so I can auto-markdown bad apple broker nodes on the client side.

On Feb 7, 2013, at 8:40, Gaurav Sharma <[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4662992&i=0>>
wrote:

> Folks - when you notice the broker in a 'stuck' state, please take a thread and heap
dump before killing the broker process and share with devs on here.

> Also:
> 1. What broker topology are you using?
> 2. How many producers/consumers?
> 3. Are you pooling connections, producers, sessions?
> 4. How large are your messages?
> 5. How many concurrent connections? What is the rate of message flow /second?
> 6. Are messages persistent and if so, what store?
> 7. What are your system/memory usage settings? How much heap and RAM on brokers and on
clients?
> 8. What is the prefetch size?
> 9. How are you using the broker - what role is it playing in your system? Using queues,
topics, both?
> 10. Have you monitored GC activity on clients and brokers?
> 11. What amq transport are you using and via what client?
>
> There might be more than one factors at play here. Very curious how restarts are 'fixing'
the problem.

> On Feb 7, 2013, at 8:18, Donald Masanz <[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4662992&i=1>>
wrote:

>> I took your advice this morning when I noticed that MQ had hung up and was able to
keep my application running while I restarted MQ.  Great tip.  Do you have a process that
monitors MQ and notifies you if it stops processing, or do you have to do a manual check?

as well. If we restart activemq everything works however, we have not been able to find the
root cause.

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/Stuck-Messages-tp4662092p4662992.html