activemq-users mailing list archives

From Frank Vanderhallen <frank.vanderhal...@portico.io>
Subject Apollo 1.5 MQTT - impossible to connect from many clients
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2013 20:22:14 GMT
Hello,

I've been trying how many MQTT connections I can have open at the same time
with Apollo 1.5, and I'm quite disappointed by the result.  I find it hard
to believe that Apollo cannot do better, so it might be a configuration
issue.  I'm adding MQTT clients, which publish a small message every 4
minutes, until Apollo stops accepting connections.  When the number of
connections reaches 50000, it starts to go wrong (both CPU's get to 100% cpu
usage, and they don't recover anymore).

This is the setup:

  - Amazon EC2 c1.medium instance
  - ulimit -a

        core file size               (blocks, -c) 0
        data seg size              (kbytes, -d) unlimited
        scheduling priority                  (-e) 0
        file size                       (blocks, -f) unlimited
        pending signals                       (-i) 59480
        max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) 64
        max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
        open files                              (-n) 999999
        pipe size                (512 bytes, -p) 8
        POSIX message queues  (bytes, -q) 819200
        real-time priority                    (-r) 0
        stack size                   (kbytes, -s) 8192
        cpu time                   (seconds, -t) unlimited
        max user processes                (-u) 59480
        virtual memory           (kbytes, -v) unlimited
        file locks                               (-x) unlimited

    - apollo.xml

<broker xmlns="http://activemq.apache.org/schema/activemq/apollo">

  <log_category console="console" security="security"
connection="connection" audit="audit"/>

  <authentication domain="apollo"/>

  <access_rule allow="admins" action="*"/>
  <access_rule allow="*" action="connect" kind="connector"/>

  <virtual_host id="testBroker">
    <host_name>testBroker</host_name>
    <host_name>localhost</host_name>
    <host_name>127.0.0.1</host_name>
    <host_name>****************.compute.amazonaws.com</host_name>

    <authentication enabled="false"/>
    <access_rule allow="users" action="connect create destroy send receive
consume"/>
  </virtual_host>

  <web_admin bind="http://****************.compute.amazonaws.com:61680"/>

  <connector id="mqtt" protocol="mqtt" bind="tcp://0.0.0.0:1883"/>
</broker>

I didn't find any documentation about the usage of MQTT in Apollo, so this
configuration might make no sense at all.  Any advice or pointers to more
information?

Thanks,
Frank