activemq-users mailing list archives

From Mike L. <patzer...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: pure master/slave question - console of slave shows many pending msgs
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:25:19 GMT

Torsten:

Thank you for your reply. There are two reasons we are still on 5.3.1

1. In TEST I see we have tried 5.3.1; 5.4.1; 5.5.0; and 5.5.1
We also use Camel and in testing when I had ActiveMQ 5.4.1 up & running the request-response
pattern would very often timeout for us (which was unacceptable). I finally concluded that
this did not happen on 5.3.1 - and this was approximately two years ago; I'm pretty sure 5.5
wasn't even out yet.

2. In our production environment we have five separate applications using ActiveMQ. We would
have to have a coordinated downtime of all 5 in order to upgrade to a more recent version.
Also, given my experience with 5.4.1 I was reticent to replace 5.3.1 which has been running
like a champ...

Finally, I would prefer to use a shared JDBC master/slave. However, we are using Oracle RAC
and my testing has never been able to have the active ActiveMQ server failover to the secondary
oracle rac server. (I have seen similar posts from others when searching on this topic).

Any thoughts/tips are welcome!

Thanks again,

Mike (aka patzerbud)

> Subject: Re: pure master/slave question - console of slave shows many pending msgs
> From: torsten@fusesource.com
> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 14:04:20 +0100
> To: users@activemq.apache.org
>
> Hi,
>
> Message replication should work correctly in pure master/slave setup on a decent version
of ActiveMQ.
> 5.3 is rather old. Any reason for using that old version?
>
> Also, pure master/slave has some drawback (which are documented). Are you sure you don't
want to use other models of master/slave?

> Regards,
>
> Torsten Mielke
> torsten@fusesource.com
> tmielke.blogspot.com
>

> On Oct 30, 2012, at 10:31 PM, Mike L. wrote:
>

> > All:
> >
> > I have configured a pure (shared nothing) master/slave setup (both are running ActiveMQ
5.3.1).

> > One of the documentation points for this configuration is:
> >
> > A slave of a master broker consumes all message states from the master - messages,
acknowledgments and transactional states.

> > However, when I view the admin console of the slave (http://slaveip:8161/admin/queues.jsp)
for many queues I see the "Number Of Pending Messages" is all over the map. That is, sometimes
it equals the "Messages Enqueued" count; sometimes it is zero; and sometimes it is about halfway
in between. By the way, if I click on a queue name on this page it "spins" but never comes
back.

> > Mostly, I want assurance that the slave is not continuing to store messages that
were consumed/acknowledged from the master. (In other words, should the master fail, then
clients aren't going to get a bunch of duplicate messages...)