activemq-users mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does the jms vs amqp comparison article have any feedback from activemq?
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2012 07:26:49 GMT
On 24 October 2012 23:37, Sean K <sk92129@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone responded to this article written by Mark Richards about
> AMQP and JMS (includes ActiveMQ)?
>
> Specifically:
>

> "This means that message clients using AMQP are completely agnostic as
> to which AMQP clients API or
> AMQP message broker you are using."   -- I remember hearing something
> like that about Java -- Write once, run everywhere -- which was a lie.
>
> Or, "While it is true vendors such as SonicMQ, ActiveMQ, and HornetQ
> provide some level of cross platform interoperability, they do so
> through proprietary protocols, APIs, and client libraries.   ..."   My
> thought is -- is this really true?

You can already use STOMP - an open cross platform interoperable wire
protocol (that has much wider adoption among clients and brokers) with
Sonic, ActiveMQ and HornetQ today (the latter 2 having native STOMP
support built in). So the article is sounding a bit bogus already :)
http://stomp.github.com/

> I thought all of ActiveMQ is open
> source via Apache, thus it should be another standard that should be a
> louder standard than AMQP.
>
> Last, how different is openwire protocol from the AMQP protocol?

OpenWire was created years before AMQP became public, though is only
used by ActiveMQ AFAIK. Other than that they are both binary wire
protocols for messaging (openwire supporting natively all the things
ActiveMQ users need to do).

--
James
-------