activemq-users mailing list archives

From andypiper <andypipe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [MQTT] Impossible to disable InactivityMonitor !
Date Sun, 21 Oct 2012 21:52:29 GMT
Aliquip wrote
> After testing and comparing with mosquitto (http://mosquitto.org) using
> mosquitto's python client the behavior is still different (and not very
> usable, sadly)
> I'm not really familiar with the MQTT (or activemq for that matter)
> protocol, but to me the problem seems to lie in the fact that in the MQTT
> protocol there is no such thing as keepalive / inactivitymonitor.
> Connections are kept open forever despite inactivity (when inactivity is
> defined as no messages except pingreq/pingresp). There is no way to clean
> unused connections in the way inactivitymonitor tries to do. Only a raw
> disconnect or a failure to ping disconnects a connection.

Probably the best place to get to the bottom of this is the MQTT discussion
group on Google Groups.

>From my own perspective, Really Small Message Broker and mosquitto are
typically seen as the most widely used / tested / compliant broker
implementations, although it's true that a number of clarifications to the
published specification have been made via the mailing list and mqtt.org
wiki.

If there is uncertainty about the expected behaviour, a quick exchange on
the MQTT group is usually sufficient to clarify with the authors of the
original implementation and spec.

Andy

-----
Andy Piper
Eclipse Paho Committer / mqtt.org community lead
http://andypiper.co.uk