activemq-users mailing list archives

From Kayode Odeyemi <>
Subject Re: Failed to retrieve RMIServer stub
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 13:38:02 GMT
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Claus Ibsen <> wrote:

> Hi
> When AMQ startup it uses JMX and exposes a JMX connector over TCP.
> This is using port 1099 by default.
> Since you get a connection refused there may be another process that
> uses this port.
> You can change the port number to something else. See details at
> In the conf/activemq.xml file you can configure this, by adding that
> piece of XML snippet, where you can set a different port number.
> You can also disable JMX all together, but then you cannot mange the
> broker over JMX which most people want to be able to do.
> Thanks. But I'll like to ask for a bit of clearance in this area;

Are the following still required in 5.5+

# The "monitorRole" role has readonly access.
# The "controlRole" role has readwrite access.
monitorRole readonly
controlRole readwrite

# The "monitorRole" role has password "abc123".
# The "controlRole" role has password "abcd1234".
monitorRole abc123
controlRole abcd1234

 I don't have the following set in /etc/default/activemq.

  SUNJMX=" \${ACTIVEMQ_BASE}/conf/jmx.password

Is this still required in 5.5+ ?

My activemq.xml reads:

    <!-- Allows us to use system properties as variables in this
configuration file -->
        <property name="locations">

        The <broker> element is used to configure the ActiveMQ broker.
    <broker xmlns=""
brokerName="localhost" dataDirectory="${}" useJmx="true">

                <policyEntry topic=">" producerFlowControl="true"
                    <vmCursor />
                <policyEntry queue=">" producerFlowControl="true"

            <managementContext createConnector="true" connectorPort="1099"/>

          <authenticationUser username="mcollective" password="marionette"
          <authenticationUser username="admin" password="secret"
          <authorizationEntry queue=">" write="admins" read="admins"
admin="admins" />
          <authorizationEntry topic=">" write="admins" read="admins"
admin="admins" />
          <authorizationEntry topic="mcollective.>" write="mcollective"
read="mcollective" admin="mcollective" />
          <authorizationEntry queue="mcollective.>" write="mcollective"
read="mcollective" admin="mcollective" />
          <authorizationEntry topic="ActiveMQ.Advisory.>" read="everyone"
write="everyone" admin="everyone"/>
            <kahaDB directory="${}/kahadb"/>

                    <memoryUsage limit="64 mb"/>
                    <storeUsage limit="100 gb"/>
                    <tempUsage limit="50 gb"/>

        <transportConnector name="openwire" uri="tcp://"/>
        <transportConnector name="stomp" uri="stomp://localhost:61613"/>

    <import resource="jetty.xml"/>

Thanks for taking time to listen