activemq-users mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Validating Connection Pools and Counting # of Connections
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:27:06 GMT
On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM, edub <erikwilliamsa@netscape.net> wrote:
> Hi Claus, I'm using the ActiveMQ connection factory:
>
>         <bean id="amq-cf" class="org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnectionFactory">
>                 <property name="brokerURL"
>                         value="failover:(nio+ssl://host1,nio+ssl://host2.....8)" />
>                 <property name="userName" value="${activemq.username}" />
>                 <property name="password" value="${activemq.password}" />
>         </bean>
>

>         <bean id="amq-pcf" class="org.apache.activemq.pool.PooledConnectionFactory"
> init-method="start" destroy-method="stop">
>                 <property name="connectionFactory" ref="amq-cf" />
>                 <property name="maxConnections" value="8" />
>                 <property name="maximumActive" value="500" />
>         </bean>

Yeah the activemq pool will eager use the max connection if possible.
So if you have set it to 8, then the pool creates 8 live connections.
And those connections is then round robin with clients on demand.
And that applies for both consumers and producers.

In the future, eg post 5.7.0 release, we may improve the AMQ pool, to
have a more elastic strategy. So on low usages it may not eagerly
create all the live connections. But more on demand scale up and down
depending on load.