activemq-users mailing list archives

From Ken DeLong <ken.del...@babycenter.com>
Subject RE: Intermittent delayed delivery
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 15:03:53 GMT
Excellent information.  Thank you Gary!

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Tully [mailto:gary.tully@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:02 AM
To: users@activemq.apache.org
Subject: Re: Intermittent delayed delivery

redelivery takes place on the consumer (client side only), so from the broker perspective
the messages is seen as inflight to a consumer.

Redelivery respects order, so a message pending redelivery with a delay will pause delivery
of later messages to that consumer.

Check in jconsole (jmx stats) to see the inflight count for each consumer. If you reduce the
consumer prefetch to 0, you will only ever have a single message pending and if it is being
redelivered it will show up on the inflight count. That should help identify what is going
on.

Also peek at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-3894 - there is a good discussion of
redelivery and blocking and ordering in the related/linked jiras and the new broker side implementation
is discussed.

On 14 September 2012 19:03, Ken DeLong <ken.delong@babycenter.com> wrote:
> We are using ActiveMQ 5.5.1 as an embedded broker in our Spring 3.1.0 application. We
have enabled message redelivery.  From time to time, we see messages that are sent to the
queue, but are never delivered, or are delivered hours later.  We've gone through the posts
on using Spring's JMS Template with ActiveMQ and think we have the proper settings.

> Our current theory is that perhaps when messages throw a RuntimeException, and get re-enqueued
for later delivery, the consumers are not released and the new messages can't be delivered.
 However, we can't really gather much evidence to support this.

> I'm including  the configuration that we are using, in the hopes that someone might spot
something that we have got wrong.

> <amq:broker id="jmsBroker" useJmx="true" persistent="true"
>        brokerName="localhost" dataDirectory="${catalina.home}/data/intl2/jms"
>        start="true">
>        <amq:destinationPolicy>
>               <amq:policyMap>
>                      <amq:policyEntries>
>                            <amq:policyEntry topic=">" producerFlowControl="false"
memoryLimit="1mb" useCache="false">
>                                   <amq:pendingSubscriberPolicy>
>                                   <amq:vmCursor />
>                                   </amq:pendingSubscriberPolicy>
>                            </amq:policyEntry>
>                            <!-- Prefetch : http://activemq.apache.org/what-is-the-prefetch-limit-for.html
>                                 Flow control: http://activemq.apache.org/producer-flow-control.html
>                                 Stuck messages: http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/Messages-stuck-in-queue-td3244342.html
>                                                 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-2009
>                            -->
>                            <amq:policyEntry queue=">" producerFlowControl="false"
memoryLimit="1mb" useCache="false" queuePrefetch="1">
see: http://activemq.apache.org/message-cursors.html
>                                          <pendingQueuePolicy> <vmQueueCursor/>
</pendingQueuePolicy> -->
>                            </amq:policyEntry>
>                      </amq:policyEntries>
>               </amq:policyMap>
>        </amq:destinationPolicy>
>        <amq:managementContext>
>               <amq:managementContext createConnector="false" />
>        </amq:managementContext>
>        <amq:persistenceAdapter>
>               <amq:kahaDB directory="${catalina.home}/data/intl2/jms/kahadb"
>                      checkForCorruptJournalFiles="true" checksumJournalFiles="true"
>                      forceRecoverIndex="true" />
>        </amq:persistenceAdapter>
> </amq:broker>
>
> <!-- <bean id="jmsConnectionFactory" class="org.apache.activemq.pool.PooledConnectionFactory"
>        destroy-method="stop"> -->
> <bean id="jmsConnectionFactory" class="org.springframework.jms.connection.CachingConnectionFactory">
>        <property name="targetConnectionFactory">
>               <bean class="org.apache.activemq.spring.ActiveMQConnectionFactory">
>                      <property name="brokerURL" value="vm://localhost" />
>                      <property name="redeliveryPolicy">
>                            <bean class="org.apache.activemq.RedeliveryPolicy">
>                                   <property name="maximumRedeliveries"    value="15"
/>
>                                   <property name="initialRedeliveryDelay" value="10800000"
/>
>                                   <property name="redeliveryDelay"        value="10800000"
/>
>                            </bean>
>                      </property>
>               </bean>
>        </property>
> </bean>
>
> <bean id="eventServiceJmsTemplate" class="org.springframework.jms.core.JmsTemplate">
>        <property name="connectionFactory" ref="jmsConnectionFactory" />
>        <property name="defaultDestination" ref="destination" />
>        <property name="pubSubDomain" value="false" />
>        <property name="deliveryPersistent" value="true" /> </bean>
>
> <bean id="destination" class="org.apache.activemq.command.ActiveMQQueue">
>        <property name="physicalName" value="asynchQueue" /> </bean>
>
> <bean id="destinationResolver" class="org.springframework.jms.support.destination.BeanFactoryDestinationResolver"
/>
>        <!--
>      http://activemq.apache.org/message-redelivery-and-dlq-handling.html
>      Tracing through Spring's code, it seems that it will not roll back the transaction
unless we set acknowledge to "transacted"

--
http://fusesource.com
http://blog.garytully.com