activemq-users mailing list archives

From Torsten Mielke <tors...@fusesource.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ disk utilization
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:51:18 GMT
Hello Oleg,

Have a read over
http://activemq.apache.org/why-do-kahadb-log-files-remain-after-cleanup.html

and perhaps try the suggested logging configuration. It should help you to figure out why
journal files aren't getting deleted.

Hope this helps,

Torsten Mielke
torsten@fusesource.com
tmielke@blogspot.com

On Sep 9, 2012, at 1:45 PM, Oleg Dulin wrote:

> Dear Distinguished Colleagues:
>
> Here is my use case.
>
> For the most part my consumers are able to keep up with the workload, but once a week
or so there is a huge burst of messages (millions) that need to be queued up for processing.
We don't want producers blocked, so we want all the messages get queued up as fast as they
come in even if it takes us longer to actually process them. Here are the policy entries:

> <broker xmlns="http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core"
>               brokerName="localhost" dataDirectory="./activemq-data"
>               destroyApplicationContextOnStop="true" persistent="true" useJmx="true">
> ….
> <policyEntries>
>                                       <policyEntry topic=">" producerFlowControl="false"
>                                               memoryLimit="64mb">
>                                               <pendingSubscriberPolicy>
>                                                       <fileCursor />
>                                               </pendingSubscriberPolicy>
>                                       </policyEntry>
>                                       <policyEntry queue=">" producerFlowControl="false"
>                                               memoryLimit="64mb">
>                                               <pendingQueuePolicy>
>                                                       <fileQueueCursor />
>                                               </pendingQueuePolicy>
>                                       </policyEntry>
>                               </policyEntries>
> ….
> <persistenceAdapter>
>                       <kahaDB directory="${activemq.base}/activemq-data/kahadb" />
>               </persistenceAdapter>
>

> What happens is that after all is done processing and queue sizes are down to 0 (I checked
in jconsole), the activemq-data directory is still consuming a couple of dozen gigabytes of
disk space. Isn't ActiveMQ supposed to clean up after itself ? I know it does because at some
point the disk utilization grows to almost a 100 gig, but then it shrinks back down to 30
or so -- and stays there. Why is that ?