activemq-users mailing list archives

From kmansari <kamran_ans...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Concerns about ActiveMQ implementation over the WAN
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 05:36:02 GMT
Gaurav,
Thanks you so much for your detailed response. To answer some of your
questions briefly:

The master is very resilient, and fault tolerance is not an issue. As for
the workers, it is possible to generate the output but not without a
prohibitively large time penalty. There is no end-of-job-execution SLA. And
you’re right that the network is running on the public internet.

That said, I like your v1 solution, but I am somehow not convinced that it
cannot be designed without the RESTful endpoints. Some of the reasons I
would like to avoid those endpoints:

•	It adds to infrastructure and maintenance costs
•	Requires additional development and maintenance of the RESTful endpoints
•	The worker-cluster and the master have to “know” about each other, by
having to know each other’s endpoints

Keeping in mind those reservations and making an assumption for the purpose
of this discussion that supporting heterogeneity is not an issue or somehow
could be address using other means, I wonder if the worker-cluster and the
master could talk to each other using OpenWire over TCP transport
(tcp://<broker>:61616), without having to rely on the RESTful endpoints. The
AMQ instances at the job-sites would act as the forwarding-brokers to the
master instance. All messages to job-sites could be filtered on a unique
“site-id”. Now, take this a step further: imagine there are three job-sites
in China – they can share a single instance of AMQ forwarding broker (could
be failover-configured multiple instances), instead of having one forwarding
broker per site. Is that even feasible in your experience? Impractical? I
don't know what I am talking about?

Thanks again for your very well articulated and detailed response. Much
appreciated!

Best,
-Kamran