activemq-users mailing list archives

From Ryan <>
Subject Shared File System Master Slave locking issues with VM's
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2012 01:04:26 GMT

I'm currently in the process of setting up a VM image for a Queue server,
the idea is we can use it to scale load. They will share the same File Store
and we have it set up to use the Shared File System Master Slave. So one
should pick up as the master by locking the store and the other comes up as
a slave when it can't lock it.

The problem though is we had some very random results when testing it. We
were writing 2 messages and reading one, making sure the what we got back
was in sequence. Suddenly things went out of whack and when we looked into
it both the Master and Slave seemed to have queues running.

It wasn't until later that i started wondering if it was cause by me saving
the state of the VM. I saved the state of both the Master and Slave. Waited
a while and then started the Slave first. the slave took the lock and became
a Master. Then i resumed the old Master. It still seemed to think that it
was the Master. As far as the Old Master is aware the machine never stopped.

So can anyone think of a way to help prevent this from happening in terms of
configuring ActiveMQ. We don't want to use Pure Master Slave because it has
no Auto Recovery