activemq-users mailing list archives

From Torsten Mielke <tors...@fusesource.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ.DLQ vs Individual dead letter queues
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:35:03 GMT
Hello,

With the configuration below any queue msgs being moved to a DLQ will end up on the corresponding
individual dead letter queue. If you also have durable topic subscriber, then the failure
to deliver msgs to these subscribers after 6 redelivery attempts could cause these messages
to be moved to ActiveMQ.DLQ, since you did not specify an individual dead letter strategy
for topics.

You can process msgs on the DLQ using any regular consumer but its up to you to decide what
to do with msgs that end up on the DLQ (which means 6 redelivery attempts were not enough
to send the msg to the actual consumer).
You could move them back to the original queue if you think chances are high that they get
processed this time, you could also delete them if these msgs are not important.
Msgs on DLQ indicate that they could not be processed correctly due to various potential reasons.

Regards,

Torsten Mielke
torsten@fusesource.com
tmielke@blogspot.com