activemq-users mailing list archives

From fenbers <>
Subject Re: db-N.log files accumulating
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 20:38:11 GMT

    Ah, this sounds like the solution I've been seeking!!  I'll have to
    try this out!  If it works, you must be an angel from the Almighty!
    (It's a Topic, BTW.)
    On 8/10/2012 4:52 AM, Raul Kripalani
      [via ActiveMQ] wrote:
     Is the destination a topic or a queue? If it's a
      topic, have you considered
      using retroactive consumers with a timed subscription recovery
      policy [2]
      set to 6 minutes?
       *Raúl Kripalani*
      *Principal Consultant | FuseSource Corp.
      [hidden email]
      | &lt; &gt;
      skype: raul.fuse | twitter: @raulvk &lt; &gt;,
      @fusenews&lt; &gt;
      blog: F3 - Flashes From the
       | aboutme:
      &lt; &gt;
      On 7 August 2012 13:47, fenbers &lt; [hidden email] &gt;
        &gt; I've configured my ActiveMQ client not to acknowledge
        messages.  This is
        &gt; because I want the messages redelivered if the user stops
        and restarts the
        &gt; client app.  The messages expire in 6 minutes anyway.  So
        any older
        &gt; messages
        &gt; *shouldn't* be delivered.
        &gt; I notice in my $ACTIVEMQ_HOME/data/kahadb directory there
        are files named
        &gt; db-N.log where N is a sequential number starting at 1, and
        these are all 33
        &gt; Megabytes in size.  When N gets to 300+, we see a huge
        performance hit in
        &gt; the apps that use the broker – even though we still have
        plenty of free
        &gt; disk
        &gt; space.  The only way I've found to rectify the performance
        problem is to
        &gt; delete the contents of the kahadb directory and restart
        ActiveMQ.  This
        &gt; fixes the problem temporarily until the log files increase
        to over 300
        &gt; again.
        &gt; When N &gt; 300, the modification times of lower-numbered
        files are
        &gt; significantly older.  If the messages expire after 6
        minutes, what purpose
        &gt; do these older db-N.log files serve?  What can I do to
        prevent the
        &gt; performance degradation as these db-N.log files build up?
         What can I do to
        &gt; prevent these files from accumulating in the first place?
        &gt; This article:

        &gt; suggests the problem occurs because there are
        un-acknowledged messages
        &gt; causing the files to still be “in-use”.  So I could
        probably eliminate the
        &gt; *.log file accumulation by acknowledging the messages, but
        I cause another
        &gt; problem in doing so, in which messages will not be not
        redelivered if the
        &gt; client is restarted.  For the purposes described in my
        first paragraph, the
        &gt; messages are deliberately not acknowledged.  Can I
        acknowledge messages and
        &gt; yet still have the unexpired messages redelivered if my
        client app is
        &gt; restarted?   Or can I safely delete the log files that are
        &gt; older than 6 minutes?
        &gt; Mark
        &gt; --
        &gt; View this message in context:

        &gt; Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at
        If you reply to this email, your
          message will be added to the discussion below:

        To unsubscribe from db-N.log files accumulating, click
          here .