activemq-users mailing list archives

From Torsten Mielke <tors...@fusesource.com>
Subject Re: The dilemma of not acknowledging messages
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2012 07:51:43 GMT
Hello Mark,

You do have to acknowledge messages that you consume in your JMS clients.
There is no way you can run a broker reliably over a longer period of time without ever acking
any consumed messages.
As you already observe, the brokers journal files will be piling up and I would not be surprised
if you get into other side affects because of that.

A JMS broker's job is to move accept messages from a producer and pass them to a or more consumers.
Its the duty of the consumer to ack any messages it has processed.
If you don't ack the messages and if your consumer disconnects and reconnects, your messages
will be redelivered and thus be processed twice. You generally don't want this behavior.
But bottom line is it is wrong to not ack any messages that have been processed successfully
in your clients.

I don't understand the reasoning why you don't want to ack msgs after they got processed by
your consumers, but I am fairly sure you need to find a different approach than not acking
msgs.
Also, I cannot suggest deleting any of the brokers journal files manually while the broker
is running. I presume this could corrupt the persistence adapter entirely.

For whatever your requirements are, find a different solution than not acking the consumed
msgs.
(e.g. if you need to process some messages again at a later point in time, perhaps store these
msgs in a dedicated area of a database and have some other app process this db table and resubmit
these messages to the broker if necessary?)

Torsten Mielke
torsten@fusesource.com
tmielke@blogspot.com