activemq-users mailing list archives

From patsfan <apvei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Negative Queue Size in 5.3.2
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:26:51 GMT
RE: Could you try your scenario with the current 5.6 release to see if it is
still reproducible.

Just tried it and yes, it still reproducable.  I found your blog (thanks!)
about the prefetch size and the negative number for the queue count.
Confirmed that the negative value is smaller when going from prefetch size
of 1000 to 10.

RE: What is the intent here?

We have an operational requirement to give people the ability to "cancel" a
queued event.  Part of the cancel event is to remove 1 or more jms messages
from the target queue.  Some of the processing by a consumer makes SOAP
calls to a service that can be unreliable (hangs).  If we detect this
scenario we want to be able to remove other jms messages from the queue that
would run into this scenario.

RE: Unlike competing consumers, the jmx op bypasses dispatch, so if you do
the jmx op when there are no consumers I would expect
different behavior.

After running into the < 0 queue count size, I stopped the consumers and
filled the queue up again to 5000 and then deleted the 5K message via jmx.
the jmx operation reported 5K messages deleted (as expected) but the < 0
queue count size remained.  But agreed, if the queue size is 0, no consumers
listening and u fill the queue to 5K and the delete the 5K the count will go
back to 0.