activemq-users mailing list archives

From Gary Tully <gary.tu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Messages not delivered after failover.
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 20:57:28 GMT
the client sees the disconnect due to the firewall, but does the
broker see the same disconnect? you may need to configure keep alive
on the broker transport connector to ensure that it sees the client
disconnect.
You can check via jmx (jconsole), to verify that the consumer goes
away. If it remains, then prefetched messages will still be inflight
and not visible to other consumers till the connection is closed.
The inflight count on the destination will also give an indication if
this is the case.

On 15 May 2012 20:39,  <shaun.t.erickson@accenture.com> wrote:
> One of the two issues has been resolved. The connection being reset was due to a firewall,
between the broker and consumer, closing port 61616 due to inactivity. We've had the folks
who maintain the firewall change its configuration so that it no longer does that.

> I'm still very troubled by the fact that messages could no longer be delivered after
a failover event though. I very much need that to work properly.

> Can someone shed some light on this for me, please?
>
> -ste

appears to be happening every two hours, like clockwork. I have no idea why, though (yet).
But it seems to me that once the connection is restored, the client should be able to receive
messages again, but does not.

> If it makes any difference, the ActiveMQ 5.3.1 is running on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise
Edition and the client with the 5.5.1 jars is running on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.
As mentioned previously, the client consumer program is in use on several servers, where it's
working fine - just this server is being persnickety.

> -ste

list. Either that or they appear there, but when a message is sent to the queue, the consumers
drop to zero and the message stays queued. Or, as in this latest case, the consumers still
show, but messages stay queued.

> I set the client's transport to trace and debug logging, to see what was up and got this.
Apparently the connection is failing and then once reconnected due to failover being set up,
it no longer gets messages sent to it. The only thing I changed in the log was to anonymize
our IP address. The client program is using activemq 5.5.1 jars, and is talking to an ActiveMQ
5.3.1 broker (slated to be updated to 5.6.0 on the 19th).

> http://pastebin.com/JbzprY28
>
> Can you guide me as to what's going wrong and how to resolve this, please? The client
program is in use on a number of servers and only this one is acting up.

> -ste
> _______________
> Shaun T. Erickson
> Technical Services
> Accenture Life Insurance Platform
> Murray Hill, NJ
> office: 908-898-5332

> Subject to local law, communications with Accenture and its affiliates including telephone
calls and emails (including content), may be monitored by our systems for the purposes of
security and the assessment of internal compliance with Accenture policy.

--
http://fusesource.com
http://blog.garytully.com