activemq-users mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject MessageListener not delivering any more messages at some point
Date Fri, 25 May 2012 10:23:54 GMT
Hi,

I've got an ActiveMQ 5.3.0 broker running in one JVM.

        <transportConnectors>
            <transportConnector name="openwire" uri="tcp://localhost:19616"/>
        </transportConnectors>

Another application (different JVM but currently on the same machine)
connects to that broker to receive messages from a single queue through
a MessageListener:

failover://(tcp://localhost:19616?keepAlive=true)?startupMaxReconnectAttempts=5

The message frequency is rather low (5-500 per hour) and can drop to
zero over multiple hours (during the night). Every now and then, the
MessageListener simply doesn't get any more messages and we have to
restart the application for a reconnect despite the failover protocol
(as seen above). We've tried various connection URI parameters but so
far, the issue keeps popping up every few weeks. I somehow doubt it has
to do with some timeout because, yesterday, it happened during the day
during normal business, not in the night after hours of inactivity. When
the problem happens, the message producer can still happily add new
messages which are then simply piled up.

We first thought that the broker would stop accepting connections at
some point but we now have a monitoring agent for Nagios that regularly
tries to connect to ActiveMQ to check if anything is wrong on that side,
but that proved to be in vain. So, everything is solid on the broker
side.

The client used to run ActiveMQ 5.3.0, too (just the
ActiveMQConnectionFactory, no broker). We also tried 5.5.1 on the client
side but nothing has changed.

I was wondering if anyone has a good idea on this problem.

Thanks a lot,
Jeremias Maerki