activemq-users mailing list archives

From Torsten Mielke <tors...@fusesource.com>
Subject Re: A few questions about running ActiveMQ in production
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 12:04:07 GMT
Hi,

> Foremost I am unsure about whats the preferred way of
> running/deploying ActiveMQ. Is it good enough to let it run as a UNIX
> service?

Yes, thats good enough and probably used most often.

You can embed ActiveMQ in other applications as well but please be aware that you tie the
lifetime of your messaging infrastructure to the lifetime of that application that the broker
runs in. Depending on your use case this may not be what you want.

Further depending on the message load you expect at runtime, you may need to tweak Tomcats
JVM heap settings in order to avoid running into memory issues. Also, configuring the brokers
<memoryUsage> should take into account that it may be running embedded in another application.

Performance wise there should generally not be an impact unless you need to configure for
high speed and high throughput messaging, in which case I would suggest to run the broker
standalone and performance tune it in isolation from other applications.

Hope this helps.

Torsten Mielke
torsten@fusesource.com
tmielke@blogspot.com