activemq-users mailing list archives

From Saiky76 <saik...@gmail.com>
Subject Inter Broker overhead is very high
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2012 18:53:35 GMT
Hi - we are trying out a POC with Active MQ for extremely high rate of
traffic. Our most important goal is the ability to scale. The topology
involves topics and for the sake of this post, please consider there is only
one consumer per topic.

In our reference topology, producers (more than one) keep posting messages
to topics to any broker in the cluster of brokers  - using the failover
protocol that is randomized. Similarly the consumers also attempt to consume
messages from any broker in the cluster.  Basically, the producers and
consumers are not aware of the topic location on a specific broker. For this
to work, I set up network bridge (duplex) between the brokers. In tests that
had 3 brokers, I ensured all the brokers had a direct network bridge to all
other brokers - to ensure there is only one broker hop for the message to be
forwarded to the broker on which the topic consumer is listening.

The number of connections (both consumers and producers) on a single broker
never exceeded 250+.

The vertical scaling results for a single broker is quite impressive. But
once I try my scaling tests, adding 2 or 3 brokers does not help and the
throughput that I got from one broker is exactly the same for the scaling
tests with 2 or 3 brokers. The producers and consumers are randomly writing
and consuming from the brokers as described above. Actually the load is
balanced almost evenly in these writes and consumes. Please note I ensured
enough CPU, memory on the consumer side.

After doing some analysis, I feel the inter broker communication is
responsible.  When I tried with 2 brokers and let us say the total number of
messages consumed is 200k, then the messages exchanged between 2 brokers is
100k. Similar is the case when 3 brokers are tested - exactly 66% of
additional messages are exchanges between brokers.  Looks like each broker
is doing exactly what is max capable of but the additional power of adding
broker is nullified by the network hops.

Any ideas, any advise would be great? I am wondering whether horizonatal
scalability is actually designed for this. Please note I read the whole of
ActiveMq in action book and literature avaialable online on MQ. Please again
note the additional network hop is always one and that is predictable.

I am trying this on MQ 5.5.1. Thanks.