activemq-users mailing list archives

From Torsten Mielke <>
Subject Re: Migrate existing kahaDB to a new version of ActiveMQ possible?
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2012 09:08:40 GMT

KahaDB is not an SQL database and hence you cannot inspect it using SQL tools.
It uses its own internal format for storing data.

In general it is possible to simply copy the kahadb folder to your 5.5.1 installation and
start the broker with that old kahadb instance. The broker will upgrade this kahadb instance
to its own newer version. All messages should be restored correctly.
Please make sure to keep a copy of the 5.3 kahadb instance around as a safeguard.

If that does not work, you could simply create a Camel route that consumes msgs from the old
broker instances and loads them onto the new broker. Some properties like timestamps or message
ids will be changed however.

Hope this helps,

Torsten Mielke

On Mar 19, 2012, at 10:11 PM, Ben Stover wrote:

> Assume the ActiveMQ v5.3.0 KahaDB contains a lot of messages in Queues and Topics.
> Now we are planning to migrate to ActiveMQ v5.5.1
> How can I copy all these existing messages into the KahaDB of the new ActiveMQ server?
> Can we simply copy all *.data and *.redo files to the new installation directory?
> Or are the files incompatible?
> Is the KahaDB an SQL database? In other words: Can we inspect the content with SQL client
tool like Toad?
> Ben

View raw message